Sometimes it feels that someone have been in our workshop during the night and put a lot of boxes and other stuff. Just piles of junk. So this morning I sorted everything out and then filled my car with it and drove to the city dump. What a great feeling to get rid of it all. The workshop feels so much bigger. I will never let it go this far ever again :)
So after the little trip I started to build on the instruments again. The guitar and mandolin got the kerfed linings and end and top block glued in. Tomorrow I will glue everything together and I have two new bodies to put bindings on. I also continued with the necks and got the heels routed and then glued the front veneer on the head. I like making necks, I think that is my favorite part of guitar making.
Then, this afternoon I could finally sand and buff up the neck on the first mandolin. I test fitted the neck to the body to see that everything was ok. I then scribbled with a scalpel along the side of the fretboard and took a chisel and carefully took away the lacquer on the body where the fretboard was going to be glued. I glued that down and I just could not wait , so I tested with the tuners to see how everything would look.
Tomorrow it is the final day ( I hope ) and the setup starts. Making the bridge, attaching the stringholder, fitting the tuners, leveling the frets and buff them up and the finally putting the strings on to test it. While I was writing this I just remembered that I forgot to order mandolin strings!! A quick call to our distributer and hopefully I will get them tomorrow.
I hope you will check in tomorrow on the blog, if I get the strings the mandolin will be ready!
See you then/Michael