The best thing by building handmade guitars and mandolins is that I can decide so much myself. If I get inspiration I have the possibility to build what I want. But the customers orders always comes first. Money talks :)
So today I started with gluing the neck and the bridge to a VRB-c-ff (the c stands for cutaway and the ff stands for fanfret). I have worked on this guitar alongside the mandolin and it is now on its way to be delivered. The guitar is having a satin lacquer, both the body and the neck, and together with the fanfret it is going to look really cool. The back and sides are East-Indian rosewood which have some nice red streaks. The top is a sitka spruce with a lot of silk. I will take some more picture of the guitar during the next two days.
Now back to the mandolin, I could not wait to look at it all put together, the neck still needs some attention and therefore it will drag into next week until it gets finished. However, I am really happy with the looks and as I have said before this have inspired me to go on and design a guitar with similar looks. I will use our SRB model (our smallest model type Grand concert) I will use the same woods as the mandolin. Sapele top, back, sides and neck. Herringbone purfling and rosette. Trimmed with some dark rosewood bindings. I have not decided if the first one is going to have an open head or not. What I have decided is that is going to be a 12 fret neck. We have never had this in our range before but now it was the right time to test it on this guitars. The stringlenght will be a short scale 630 mm ( I think it is something like 24-7/8"). I am also going to make the guitars a little deeper than we normally make the SRB. 112 mm at the deepest and 98 mm at the neck. To see that everything works together, I lay the piece on the floor. This way I get a feeling for the instrument.
So stay tuned and see all the amazing instruments that we build.