It is getting closer and closer. Monday morning started with taking of the clamps which I used for gluing the fretboard to the neck. Then over to the sander and sanded of the extra bulk of wood and when I got close enough I turned to more of handwork, slowly getting closer to the finished shape. Because the neck is so small it is easier to do the shaping by hand than trying to use a router or a shaper. This is really fun work and I like to do this by hand. I is rewarding to to feel the finished neck, very smooth and even. When the shape of the neck is there I drill holes for the positiondots, 2mm abalone dots on 3,5,7,10 and 12. They are really small and I always hold my hand underneath when I glue them in. I do not know how many time I have knocked down the little box over the years. So now I always put the box away as soon as I am finished with it.
I did a light sanding with a 400 paper on the body and then started to spray the sealing coats. I did three layers. That is enough for one day. I also filled the pores on the neck and now it has to dry for a day. So tomorrow it will not happen much on the mandolin. But on Wednesday I will do the sunburst. Fun, fun, fun.
See you tomorrow / Michael